Anyone interested in becoming a Firefighter with the Tucson Fire Department must first go through the Civil Service testing process. To work for Tucson Fire in any uniformed position, a candidate must complete the testing process AND complete the department’s training Academy.
TFD does not hire into any uniform position except for Firefighter.
The following Minimum Requirements must be met in order to apply for the upcoming testing process:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent certificate
- Valid Driver’s License with two years driving experience
- Ability to obtain an Arizona EMT certification upon graduation from the academy. Contact AZDHSfor questions regarding certification
- Physical abilities necessary to perform essential firefighting functions
Currently, it is not necessary to have either an EMT certification or a Firefighter I or II certification in order to apply. Nor is it necessary to live within the Tucson city limits, although these may be requirements in future recruitment hiring.
Special Job Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age as of Academy start date
- Valid and unrestricted drivers license with at least two (2) years licensed driving experience
- Ability to obtain an Arizona EMT certification upon graduation; Tucson Fire will not entertain any waivers
By end of Fire Academy:
- Arizona Fire Fighter I and II Certification
- Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation Certification
- Arizona Emergency Medical Technician Basic Certification
- HazMat First Responder Certification